The introduction of Windows Vista and Windows 7, with their enhanced security features, means that getting the SXV drivers to install can be a bit of a challenge.
Fortunately, it isn’t really all that difficult, if you follow these simple instructions (N.B. You need to be logged in as the Administrator before starting!):
- Download the driver package required from the downloads page.
- Create a folder on the root of drive C – e.g. ‘SXV drivers’ and unzip the driver package into it.
- Plug the USB cable into your camera (no need for power) and wait for the ‘New hardware found’ message to appear.
- Select the ‘Locate and install driver software’ option. Select ‘Continue’ if Vista asks for permission.
- Select ‘Don’t search online’.
- Select ‘I don’t have a disk – show me other options’.
- Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software (advanced)’.
- Browse for your folder on drive C and select it.
- Windows will find the driver but will ask you for permission to install it – select ‘Install this driver software anyway’.
- After a short delay you should see the message that ‘The software for this device has been successfully installed’.
- If you are using the supplied SX software, you will need to assign ‘Administrator’ rights to it, or disable ‘UAC’ in the Windows security settings. Otherwise it cannot write a temporary file to drive C and you will get the message ‘Unable to create bitmap file’ or similar, when running it.
- Celebrate and start using your camera!